The following is a flash news from テレ朝

沖縄県 「緊急事態宣言」政府への要請を正式決定

Two questions:

1. What particles are implied after Okinawa prefecture and after quoted "declaration of emergency state"?
  2. Since the government is followed by へ, の cannot be the subject marker, then who on earth is calling for the government to declare the state of emergency?

Bonus question: are there general rules how to analyze flash news?

It should be read as 沖縄県「緊急事態宣言」政府への要請を正式決定. Note that 「緊急事態宣言」の modifies 要請, not 政府. It means 沖縄県が「緊急事態宣言」を政府に要請することを正式に決定した.

In many cases, the first part is the subject and the last part refers to something it did, or was done if the noun at the end is normally used in the passive, such as 逮捕.

• It still does not answer the question "who is officially requesting". Who is it in Okinawa calling for the government actions? Is it a general assembly, results of the poll, or someone else? It is unclear what official body (正式) makes the request.
    – user1602
    May 19 at 4:47
  • @user1602: The headline says nothing about it. It would be assumed to be the head of the prefecture, the governor. I don’t think this is unique to Japanese headlines. How would you read a headline like “Tokyo resumes talks with Beijing”? Who in Tokyo will talk to who in Beijing?
    – aguijonazo
    May 19 at 4:53
  • Tokyo implies The Japanese Government, this case is no-brainer. The governor of Okinawa IS the government - he cannot call on himself to declare the emergency state. My knowledge of the Japanese society is not enough to determine who officially decided to appeal to the government in the example of this post.
    – user1602
    May 19 at 4:58
  • @user1602 Who in the Japanese government?
    – aguijonazo
    May 19 at 4:59
    @samhana: That’s also possible. I would suggest you post it as your own answer. It should attract the “who in Okinawa?” question even more. I’m done with it.
    – aguijonazo
    May 19 at 23:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.