I was reading 二銭銅貨 from 江戸川乱歩, and the words 給料 and 賃金 occurred :

芝区のさる大きな電機工場の職工給料日の出来事であった。

I understand 給料日 as the "pay day", or the day the worker receive their salary.

十数名の賃銀計算係が、五千人近い職工のタイム・カードから、それぞれ一ヶ月の賃銀を計算して、山と積まれた給料袋の中へ、当日銀行から引き出された、大トランクに一杯もあろうという、二十円、十円、五円などの紙幣を汗だくになって、詰め込んでいるさなかに、事務所の玄関へ一人の紳士が訪れた。

In that sentence, 賃銀 is the old form of 賃金.

What I don't understand is the difference between 給料 and 賃金 in that context. My dictionary both translate them as "salary".

Subjectively, my sense is that [賃金]{ちんぎん} is closer in nuance to the English term wages (money paid for a specific unit of work, not necessarily ongoing), while [給料]{きゅうりょう} is closer to salary (money paid for a specific unit of time, usually as part of an ongoing contract). Much as in English, I've seen a certain amount of overlap between these two. That said, I'm not a native speaker of Japanese, and I may have gotten the wrong end of the stick at some point.

User aguijonazo also commented:

I agree with @EiríkrÚtlendi. And [賃金]{ちんぎん} sounds more technical. It is used in such terms as [賃金交渉]{ちんぎんこうしょう} (between employers and unions), [賃金水準]{ちんぎんすいじゅん} (of a particular industry, country, etc.), [賃金未払い]{ちんぎんみはらい}, etc. It is not commonly used for individual payments nowadays, not least by those on the receiving side.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.