I am trying to find an idiom that describes someone setting hurdles for themself or putting themself in a more difficult position every step of the way, eventually trapping oneself or forcing one's back against the wall. The English phrase I have in mind is "paint oneself into a corner", as in:

If you keep doing that, you are just going to paint yourself into a corner.

What would be an apt Japanese phrase for this? I've thought of 自縄自縛 and 墓穴を掘る. I think 墓穴を掘る is probably closer to what I am reaching for, but are there better ones out there?

• ドツボにはまる digging him/herself into the deeper hole.
  • 自らの首を締める cut your own throat.
  • 楽屋から火を出す (can’t find similar English phrase.literal translation should be “set fire to your dressing room”)
  • いたちごっこ A vicious cycle.

are the most common idioms in my humble opinion.

I think (自分で)自分の首を締める is the closest and safest. It does convey the meaning of "setting hurdles for themself or putting themself in a more difficult position". 自縄自縛 is also usable, but it's a relatively difficult 四字熟語 that is used mainly in serious essays and literary works.

墓穴を掘る is not wrong but it doesn't necessarily have the above-mentioned nuance; it's more commonly used to describe a one-time "backfiring" mistake.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.