Which pronoun should I use as a teacher when I address my students?

For instance, in this sentence "Please submit your essay on Monday"

As far as I know, あなたたち sounds rude

Is there any reason you want to use a pronoun at all? May 16 '21 at 13:24
  • This means that I should avoid using any pronoun? When teachers communicate with the whole class, they don't use any pronoun at all?
    – starckman
    May 16 '21 at 17:28
    月曜日に文章を提出してください。←no pronoun. Japanese often omits subjects, so there is no reason you have to use a pronoun, whether you're addressing one person or a whole group.
    – Shurim
    May 16 '21 at 18:24
    The primary reason to use a pronoun is to clarify something that would otherwise be ambiguous. If a teacher says to the class to submit an assignment, there shouldn't be any ambiguity as to who is being instructed.
    – Leebo
    May 16 '21 at 22:21
    As already pointed out, omitting subjects is quite natural in Japanese. And personal pronouns are rarely used; if you use one, most of the time, this means you are placing an emphasis on the person(s) it represents. That said, if you have to use a pronoun somehow in the classroom situation you described, 皆さん(more teacher-esque, maybe more natural) or みんな(more informal and friendly) can be used like this way: 皆さん、月曜日に作文を提出してください。 or みんな、月曜に作文を提出してね。
    – user48754
    May 19 '21 at 15:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.