This is a sentence from a manga (the first chapter of Slam Dunk on page 9)

["バスケット部がなんでいバスケット部が!"] seems like it translates to something like "basketball team... why the basketball team!?"...

There is a line break between the なんでい/なんだい and the repetition of the subject (バスケット部が)

...but I'm not sure why なんで is being spelled with い at the end. does that change the sentence structure as a whole to make it mean something else?

Does this whole thing belong to the same balloon? Isn't there something after い (ellipsis, small-tsu, or at least line break...)? Please paste the page as an image if you're unsure.
    – naruto
    May 16 at 3:36
  • This sentence baffles even native Japanese speakers since it may be grammatically incorrect and definitely cannot stand alone by itself without a context. If なんでい means なんで(why), I believe い in なんでい kind of works to emphasize なんで.
    – user48754
    May 16 at 5:05
    I think the sentence ends with なんでい and the following part is just a repetition of its subject. That なんでい could be a variation of なんだい.
    – aguijonazo
    May 16 at 5:13
    @aguijonazo Ah, that sounds plausible if the speaker is a masculine Edo dialect speaker!
    – naruto
    May 16 at 6:17

["バスケット部がなんでいバスケット部が!"]

なんでい is the masculine form of なんだい,なんなの,なにさ, etc as explained in the comment. It seems to be a variant of the Edo dialect べらんめえ口調.

Without the context, the meaning is hard to figure out. Probably the phrase is used in a condescending manner.

The speaker probably does not like the basketball club, so they uttered the sentence in that way. Is it a situation where they are recruiting someone to the club?

I'd assume the speaker's saying it is just a "Tamaire".

Basketball club? So what? It's just a basketball club!

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.