EDIT: Apparently I read the answers wrong, and the correct answer is actually the one I chose, i.e. 書こうにも.

Then my question would be focused on the difference between these two forms. I guess in this fixed usage 書こう would be the grammatical one to use, while 書きよう would be used when the speaker wants to make a proposal in general, even though both are "volitional forms"? Or is my understanding incorrect.

Question from Shin Kanzen Master N1 Grammar:

手を怪我してしまった。これでは急ぎの書類を_書けない。

I chose 書こうにも but the answer was 書きようにも

However, there was a real question from the 1995 N1 exam that was:

こう毎日レポートや試験に追われていては、国の両親に手紙を書こうにも書けない。

which used 書こうにも

Therefore this question was quite confusing to me.

I guess a more general question would also be, is there any difference between these two forms for any word, or are they both volitional forms which are interchangeable in most situations?

This form 書きよう appears in 書きようがない but 書きようにも is simply ungrammatical. It must have been a made-up choice.
    – aguijonazo
    May 11 at 13:44
    書きよう is not a volitional form and it’s not used to make a proposal. The よう in 書きようがない is a noun (様) that means “means” or “way”.
    – aguijonazo
    May 11 at 13:52

I believe the correct answer should be 「書こうにも」.

Grammatical sentences are:

「手を怪我してしまった。これでは急ぎの書類を書こうにも書けない。」
「こう毎日レポートや試験に追われていては、国の両親に手紙を書こうにも書けない。」

「書きようにもかけない」 is not correct.

The formula is: 「volitional form 書こう + にも + potential negative 書けない」.

書きよう is not the volitional form. It's 書き+[様]{よう}, "way of writing".

To use 「書きよう」 you could say:

「~の書きようがない。」 "There's no way to write..."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.