I was reading something and I found this thing attached to a verb. The sentence was this one:

ふと脇を見て、そこに洗濯物がたたんであったりしたら。

What meaning does it have?

• Do you know 〜たり〜たり for listing examples? – aguijonazo May 7 at 11:05
  • Yes, but I don't get that ~たら at the end – Alejandro Núñez Valdés May 7 at 11:16
    I would suggest you make that point clearer in your post. And are you sure the sentence ends there? – aguijonazo May 7 at 11:24

Closest English counterpart I can think of is, "what if" or "just imagine if"

ふと脇を見て、そこに洗濯物がたたんであったりしたら。 What if, I looked to my side, and all the landries were nicely folded right there. (how convenient would that be!)

It is a form of ommission, unique to Japanese. Imagine the full sentence being like:

ふと脇を見て、そこに洗濯物がたたんであったりしたら、すごくありがたい。 What if I looked to my side and all the laundries were nicely folded....that'd be handy!

or

ふと脇を見て、そこに洗濯物がたたんであったりしたら、こわいぞ!

What if I looked to my side and all the laundries were nicely folded....that'd be spooky! (assuming you are the only one in the house)

I have to see the context, so I can't give you the 100% translation - but I'd hazard a guess that - it's either someone lamenting how much laundry there is yet to be folded, or, cracking a joke about kind ghost that'd fold laundry for you.

したら is a conditional expression. This is a sentence (or a sentence fragment) that consists only of a long "if-clause". The corresponding main clause has been left out.

たり has two different roles:

1. Lists multiple actions

休みの日は本を読んだりしています。
    On my days off, I read books or do something like this.

2. Indicates the marked verb is a rare/surprising possibility

The correct translation would depend on the broader context, but this たり is probably used in the latter sense. It probably implies that 洗濯物がたたんである in this situation is a surprising (either positively or negatively) event to the speaker.

ふと脇を見て、そこに洗濯物がたたんであったりしたら。
(I know this is unlikely but) In case [I/you/etc] happen to find the laundry folded in there...

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.