I'm reading a JP web game and this is the prologue, 2 characters seems to be some kind of cadet in a facility under the ocean. They're talking about training to become a 想索者 (Diver), but I don't think this is a correct TL so I want someone give me opinions about this

Cadet 1: 戦いって、やっぱり怖いのかな、とか。(I heard that the battles are really scary right?)

Cadet2: それはまた気の早い話だね (Well that's too early to tell)

私たち候補生はしばらく訓練を積んで、その成績次第で正式な想索者に選抜される。だから、その心配はけっこう先の話だと思うよ. (We cadets will train for a while, and depending on our performance, we will be selected to become official "Diver". So I think that worry of yours is quite a long ways off.) それまでに、心の準備とかしておけばいいんじゃないかな (In the meantime, I think you should prepare yourself mentally and stuff like that instead)

I think they will "dive" inside some kind of dream world to battles against monsters/nightmares? Can someone explain to me this term 想索者

This appears to be a neologism – Angelos May 4 at 9:01
  • Yes, this is a coined word, and the translator has the liberty to decide its translation taking the whole story into consideration. – naruto May 4 at 9:07

They must have coined that term to sound like [捜索者]{そうさくしゃ}, which means a person who searches for something or someone, often a missing person. The first character of the neologism is also pronounced そう and it is used in such words as [想像]{そうぞう} (imagination) and [空想]{くうそう} (daydream). Though no such word as 想索 exists, when native speakers see those Chinese characters, we understand it as some act of searching that involves some mental activity. 想索者 is a person who does that, whatever it is.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.