I hear of it sometimes on YouTube but don't know what it means. Google didn't give any answer. What does this phrase mean please?

(a comment asked for a link, so here it is: https://youtu.be/dSR7ObNCwrQ?t=31 (at 00:31))

A link to a youtube example would be helpful. I can't tell what the phrase is from your guess at spelling it. – Leebo May 2 at 15:22
  • thanks, it is added to the question – Stefanie Gauss May 2 at 16:34
    You sure it wasn't それでは (sore dewa)? – user3856370 May 2 at 17:15
    so I guess it is それでは... it means "then" or "if so, then", or "if that's the case, then"...? – Stefanie Gauss May 2 at 17:38

She says それでは [soredewa] and it means “then”. In this context, それ [sore] (“that”) doesn’t refer to anything in particular.

I can see why you heard it as それねは [sorenewa]. She speaks with a nasal voice throughout.

• I thought she said "sonedewa"... but I guess the sound of "ne" and "re" is quite close... maybe "le", "ne", and "re" are similar sounding – Stefanie Gauss May 3 at 6:18
  • @StefanieGauss: OK. I knew you heard ね somewhere but I put it in the wrong place. Yes, the Japanese /r/ is produced with the tip of the tongue touching the same area of the mouth (the alveolar ridge) as /n/ (and /d/, too). It does sound like /n/ if nasalized. – aguijonazo May 3 at 6:51

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.