I was reading a web novel when I came across this sentence.

春を思わせる花柄のワンピースに黄色のカーデガン、編み込みをしアップにした髪にベレー帽、赤色の伊達メガネ……

What does the をし mean? Is it just connecting 編み込み and アップ to にした? It is my first time I believe encountering this and while I still understand the sentence I want clarification.

I looked online and all I could find was をし being a old way to write 惜しい and 愛しい which I am near certain is not how it is being used here, because that would be quite bizarre and doesn't really make sense.

The only possible interpretation for me is that し is the stem of the ます-form of the verb する.

I think the author meant both 編み込みをした (braided) and アップにした (put up) to modify 髪. It basically means the same as

編み込みをして(、)アップにした髪

I guess the author wanted to avoid repeating 〜して and 〜した because it would sound a bit like the two actions, 編み込みにする and アップにする, happened sequentially in time.

I would say the sentence is still poorly formed, though.

編み込んでアップにした髪

would have been much easier to understand. Here, the verb 編み込む is used in its て-form, instead of 編み込みをする, where 編み込み is a noun and the object of the verb する.

• Thanks for the reply. I understand what he meant, but yes it seems really poorly written. Your example is much better I think. Do you think it is just a typo? Because from all the reading I have done and googling of this I couldn't find another example which leads me to believe that this is just ungrammatical even if we completely understand what is being transmitted. Thanks. – Jared Apr 25 at 13:24
  • @Jared: I don’t think it’s a typo. The ます-stem (e.g. し for する) is often used in written Japanese, instead of the て-form (e.g. して), to connect verb setences. So, 編み込みをし(、)アップにした髪 is not completely wrong. It’s just poorly written. – aguijonazo Apr 25 at 13:56
  • Ok after doing some googling of し and して this sentence starts to make more sentence from a grammatical side. Without a comma it feels a little wrong, but also is there a need for を at all. Can it not just be written as 編み込みし、アップにした髪? – Jared Apr 25 at 14:45
  • @Jared: Yes, を could be omitted. 編み込みする doesn’t particularly sound better than 編み込みをする to me, though. – aguijonazo Apr 25 at 15:47
  • I think for me し vs をし sounds better due to hearing it more often but I guess either way it is fine. Thanks so much for the help on this, this was very informative for me. – Jared Apr 25 at 16:24

It's the masu-stem of する. So, 編み込みをし means that they put their hair up in braids. The masu-stem is used where in English we would say "they did this and they did that and..."

So 編み込みをしアップにした髪にベレー帽 means "[put on] a baret on her hair that was put up and done in braids." (I'm assuming somewhere in that sentence--or else implied--is a verb meaning to put on.)

• Thanks for the reply. Can you use し with を like that though? I figured for these scenarios you would just say をして~をした or maybe をすると (not sure if that last one is correct). I have not seen をし before (I believe) and couldn't find an example online so I am wondering if it just something that is ungrammatical and was a typo. Thanks. – Jared Apr 25 at 13:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.