From Shin Kanzen Master JLPT N2:

新しい店をオープンする _ _ _* _ かたまってきた。

1 の 2 ようやく 3 にあたって 4 方針が

The right answer at the starred position is 4.

One arrangement I thought might make this answer work is:

新しい店をオープンするにあたっての方針がようやくかたまってきた。

However, I'm not sure if 「にあたって」 can be followed immediately by 「の」. How would this combination be interpreted then? Or maybe the right order is something else?

• I would have placed things as 1.3.2.4. I'm wondering how that is different from 1.3.4.2. – A.Ellett Apr 24 at 3:20
  • Indeed, I think the person who made this question intended オープンするにあたっての方針がようやく (3-1-4-2), but オープンするのにあたって方針がようやく (1-3-4-2) and オープンするのにあたってようやく方針が (1-3-2-4) make perfect sense to me, too. (Of course this doesn't answer why 3-1-4-2 is correct) – naruto Apr 24 at 3:32
  • @naruto Thanks. I guess my main confusion in this question would be, is the の necessary here in にあたっての方針, because 方針 is a noun, and thus the の is necessary for にあたって to be able to modify it? What does this phrase, especially あたって, mean though. ("the strategy once new shops are opened" doesn't sound natural to me.) – xji Apr 24 at 11:23
  • @naruto I asked a Japanese teacher, and she agreed with you that "xxするのに当たってxx" sounds more grammatically correct. I guess Shin Kanzen here listed a more modern usage, which is however not necessarily the soundest in a grammatical sense. – xji May 4 at 16:27
  • Well, I don't know which is more modern or standard... To me, these three all sound natural and correct. – naruto May 5 at 3:02

So Shin Kanzen actually gave some examples of this combination (xxするに当たってのxx, e.g. 就職するに当たっての準備), as shown in the photo. However, I asked a Japanese teacher, and she agreed with naruto in the comments, that grammatically speaking, it would be more correct to say xxするのに当たってxx, where "するの" would act as a noun, similar to "すること".

As of the meaning of the sentence, which I was confused about, "当たって" here should be interpreted as "corresponding to", i.e. "the strategy regarding the opening of new stores". Then the sentence makes sense.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.