胃がもたれるような不快感    
Nightmareに目を覚ます 

Should I treat 胃がもたれるような不快感 like a "floating" noun and translate this as-

Discomfort that feels like an upset stomach 
Because of a Nightmare, I wake up

Or is the 不快感 being personified and the translation should be-

Discomfort that feels like an upset stomach
Wakes up because of a nightmare

I tried to find examples of 目を覚ます being used for subjects other than humans but could not, so I feel like this second one is wrong.

If the first one is correct, can I translate it sort of like this to fix the "floating" noun issue?

My discomfort feels like an upset stomach

I would greatly appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

目を覚ます can figuratively take an inanimate subject in creative writing; for example we can find examples like 寂しさが目を覚ます, 閉じた傷が目を覚ます, 闇が目を覚ます and 月が目を覚ます.

That being said, unless there is clearly が after 不快感, I certainly interpret the first line as an independent "floating noun phrase". 不快感 doesn't have a dream, after all. The subject of 目を覚ます in this song should be implicit "I".

• Thank you so much, this line was giving me trouble for so long. Do you think I can translate the 不快感 line as "My discomfort feels like an upset stomach."? I don't mind how the current version sounds, but is this version also an option? – MastahxGraffiti Apr 15 at 4:20
    @MastahxGraffiti How about "an uneasiness/discomfort that upsets/turns my stomach"? – A.Ellett Apr 15 at 5:08
  • Hello, thanks for your response. I think your translation works too, I was just wondering if the line could be rephrased in this specific case. – MastahxGraffiti Apr 15 at 5:29
  • @MastahxGraffiti The simplest approach should be "there is discomfort" or "I feel discomfort", but your translation seems okay to me, too. – naruto Apr 15 at 7:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.