How do I say 'finally' as in 'after waiting a long time' in a sentence? Do I use '最後に'?

Hanako can finally buy the textbook.

花子さんは教科書を最後に買えます。

Or does 最後に only mean 'finally' as in 'last in sequence'

Relevant question. The Japanese language makes this seemingly straightforward question a bit of a PITA to answer comprehensively, because it gives you so many options! Each with a slight difference in connotation... – Will Apr 14 at 23:41
  • 最後に sounds like "by/at the end", so maybe she wasn't able to afford a textbook until the last day of the class. @Will 's "relevant question" is fantastically helpful if you check it out. – A.Ellett Apr 15 at 0:03

@Will Thank you for this relevant link. とうとう seems to be what I'm looking for. Differences between いよいよ / やっと / ようやく / ついに and とうとう

• What the linked question/answer fails to explain is that とうとう is primarily used with negative outcomes. For example, dying after losing a long battle with cancer. With positive outcomes, やっと is a better choice, or いよいよ/ようやく for more neutral/mixed cases. – Will Apr 16 at 13:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.