In the subtitles for the first episode of Code Geass, a character asks:

代理人のご到着かな

Maybe there is a grammer point that I don't understand, but shouldnt this be:

代理人のが到着かな

Meaning something like: as for 代理人 (the substitute), 到着 (the arrival) is here, isn't it?

instead though there is a ご where I expect a が. Is this slang maybe? Or a grammer point I don't know?

• In Japanese you often see a noun phrase functioning as a self-sufficient, semantically complete sentence. Such noun phrases often occur as "A's B"/"B of A". – Eddie Kal Apr 14 at 1:49

の here is the possessive marker, not the nominalizer; ご is an honorific. かな adds the sense of wondering.

代理人のご到着かな

I wonder whether is that the arrival of the representative.

代理人 must be someone important or esteemed or who should be respected, thus the use of the honorific: ご到着

Without further context, it's a bit more difficult to say much more.

代理人のが到着かな doesn't make any sense grammatically. If you wanted to make 代理人 the subject of a verb, they could have said

代理人が到着したかな

I wonder did the representative arrive?

You can't use the honorific prefix here.

I'm not entirely sure how to form a suitable honorific here. I'm used to hearing

まもなく到着いたします

But that would not be suitable here since いたす is humble. (You hear this expression over the loud speaker in the train station for example.)

I suppose it might be

ご到着になりました

resulting in

代理人がご到着になりましたかな

Some feedback on this last point might be nice. Keigo is not my forte. I understand it usually when I hear it (assuming it's not over the top), but it's passive knowledge, not active for me.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.