I want to know the meaning of "山田さんはどんな風にしていましたか。" and understand the grammatical construction. Does it means "How Yamada looked like ?" or "In what way Yamada did it?" ?

For this example, the reply of that question about Yamada in my textbook is "元気そうにしていました。"

• You need to add more context (eg. more lines before and after the one you're asking about). You should also specify what specific part in the sentence that is troubling you and how do you think you understand it atm. So please add more details to it, so you can have better quality answers as well. – Felipe Chaves de Oliveira Apr 7 at 15:25
  • I added some context if this can help you to help me. – Poulp Apr 8 at 12:15

In the case of example, it means "How Yamada looked like ?". (Without context, "山田さんはどんな風にしていましたか。" can mean both of them.)

To be honest the whole thing sound a bit weird, maybe I'm just lacking experience, but here's what I think.

どんな風に

This part I've mostly seen in things like "How?" or "In what way?". So, with the help of the reply "元気そうにしていました", did help a lot, it seems to me that it just means "How was Tanaka doing?", "He was doing well".

I made a mistake here ”山田さんは元気にしていましたか?” (don't use)

If Yamada has terminal cancer, no onewould ask “is he healthy” 元気にしていますか. But they might ask how he’s doing. – A.Ellett Apr 10 at 23:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.