I'm reading a magazine article and I've come across a sentence that I'm not too sure about.

そんな濃密な5年間を、記事担当のコラムを交えつつ振り返る。

I think the sentence means something like "These rich 5 years will be covered in the article" (very rough inaccurate translation). But I don't really understand this question grammatically. Why does the first clause not end with a verb but just particle を?

I'm also not too sure about the second part, "the column in charge will look back on [these rich 5 years]" is probably my best guess. But I'm really confused about the 交えつつ振り返る, "with mixing looking back"

I'm not posting an answer because I struggle with the meaning of 記事担当のコラムを交えつつ, but isn't そんな濃密な5年間 the object of 振り返る, with the bit I can't translate as an adverbial modifier? Apr 6 at 18:13

The grammar here is a bit more complex, and it looks like that's confused you. Let's take a closer look at this structure.

そんな濃密【のうみつ】な5年間【ごねんかん】を、記事担当【きじたんとう】のコラムを交【まじ】えつつ[振り返る]【ふりかえる】。

There are a few things going on here. If we diagram it a bit differently, it might become more clear what's going on.

5年間を              振り返る。
そんな濃密な
                コラムを交えつつ
           記事担当の

• The simplest core of the main statement is that top line: 5年間【ごねんかん】を[振り返る]【ふりかえる】 ("to look back on [those] five years"). That's where that を fits in -- it marks the object of the verb [振り返る]【ふりかえる】.
  • The second line is a modifying phrase, used to tell us more about what kind of 5年間【ごねんかん】 we're talking about: そんな濃密【のうみつ】な ("those rich and full / jam-packed ...").
  • The third line is the simplest core of the embedded sentence: コラムを交【まじ】えつつ ("while mixing in [newspaper?] column [content / articles / pieces]"). This has the ~つつ ending, telling us that this action is happening alongside, or in a subordinate way to, the action of the main statement.
  • The fourth line is another modifying phrase, telling us more about what kind of コラム we're talking about: 記事担当【きじたんとう】の ("belonging to the person in charge of articles" → "the editor's").

Putting it all back together, we might translate this as something like the following. This assumes that the context is a newspaper, magazine, or similar medium, that would have a regular feature section, in which this text appears.

We look back on those jam-packed five years, with a mix of columns from our feature editor.

• +1 but I'm still not sure I understand that middle section even after your translation. I know it's not relevant to the question but does "a mix of columns from our feature editor" suggest that it's just reprints of old articles? I find the phrase rather confusing in Japanese and English. Apr 6 at 21:11
    @user3856370: Without more context, it's hard to be sure, but that would be my guess -- reprints of old articles, or of excerpts from old articles. As a media piece "looking back at ... those five years", that seems like it would make sense from what little context we have. Think of historical shows, and how they re-use historical footage -- this would be the same kind of thing, only in print format. Apr 6 at 21:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.