Context: A and B are in relationship. A was drunk from hangover. B helped A to get in to his house. A realized that B entered his house once again. He thought

っていうかBがまた...

I'm not sure what というか is doing here. I checked this answer. It only discusses the function of というか at the end of a sentence. I don't know if it mean the same thing when placed at the beginning of a sentence.

My take: I think というか at the beginning functions similar to ゆうのは. It means something like "I mean." Am I right here?

• You've not provided much context, but my guess would be that it's just a shortened version of something like なんっていうかBがまた. A seems to be saying "what's this? B['s back] again?" Where more context might be helpful, it seems to me that A is a bit annoyed that B is back again, which, if that's the case, I might translate what A's saying as "what the hell! B again??" – A.Ellett Apr 4 at 18:48
  • @A.Ellett I don't think A is annoyed. He likes having B in his house. But, I think you are probably right to interpret というか as なんっていうか. Not sure if there are other ways to understand this expression. – Ray Siplao Apr 4 at 19:02
  • というか
  • っていうか
  • とゆーか, とゆうか, とゆっか
  • ってゆーか, ってゆうか, ってゆっか
  • ちゅーか, ちゅうか
  • つーか, つうか
  • つか

These are all variants of というか. They have many roles.

• Used to make the sentence less certain: "kind of", "kinda", "sorta", "maybe"

まあ和食は好きっていうか。
    Yeah, I kinda like Japanese cuisine.

• Used to rephrase or correct previous sentences (in an uncertain way): "or maybe", "maybe", "rather"

試験はうまく行かなかった。というか、落ちた。
    The exam did not go well. Or rather, I failed.

っていうか、本当は分かってるんでしょー?
    But you know that already, don't you?

• Used to interrupt the current conversation and change the topic to a more important/urgent one: "by the way", "whatever", "anyway", "wait"

つーか、この部屋暑くない?
    By the way, isn't this room hot?

つか、揺れてる? 地震?
    Wait, is it shaking? Earthquake?

• Used as a meaningless filler: "er", "well", "I mean", "you know"

ってゆっかてゆっかー、私って結構さみしがり屋っていうかー、だから、なんてゆっかー、ほら。
    I mean, well, I'm a kinda lonely person, so I mean, I guess...you know.

You have provided no previous context, so it could be #2, #3 or #4 above.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.