カッ──カッ──カッ──

ハイヒールのコルクが大理石の床を打ち鳴らす。

眼下に座り込む相手の存在を確かめると、彼女は淑やかな所作で横髪をかき上げつつ言った。

「どうして、こうなってしまったのかしら──なんて。今さら言うでもないのでしょうか

──相手は、その言葉をさも当然と聞き届ける。

地下空間を支配する寂莫たる静けさもまた、最期を看取るのに相応しい黙祷めいて。

I understand 今さら to be used when it's too late to say something e.g. in 【今さら言うのもなんだけど」. I think the meaning in context is the same, however what is confusing me a bit is でもないのでしょうか. If I put together what I think she is saying it is something like, "I wonder if it is a bit too late to say something like that," however, I am not sure.

The でしょうか at the end in combination with the なんて feel somewhat "cynical" (素直じゃない) to me, but it's hard to put a finger on it without more context...
    – Will
    Apr 3, 2021 at 23:33
  • Possible duplicate: japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/41339/…
    – Eddie Kal
    Apr 3, 2021 at 23:57
  • I've added a bit more context (lines before and after), but there isn't much more I can add as the scene is short and its not obvious to the reader. The speaker kills the person they are talking to at the end of the scene.
    – shymander
    Apr 4, 2021 at 0:40
    @shymander Hm, with the added context, it seems less negative at least. More of a quasi-rhetorical "I guess by now we're well beyond wondering how it all came to this?": a way of confirming that the other person agrees that there is no (longer any) need/desire to talk about whatever lead to the current situation.
    – Will
    Apr 4, 2021 at 0:57

1 Answer 1

It seems likely to me to be a typo for 今さら言うでもないのでしょうか, in which case the meaning would be something like "by this point perhaps it's not worth mentioning".

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .