I know that when ~上{じょう} is attached to nouns, it will mean something among lines of

From the viewpoint of; for (the sake of); for (the reason); in (terms of); relating to; in –ing

according to DoIJG. But, can ~上{じょう} vs ~の上{うえ} used interchangeably with no difference in meaning? The example sentences in the dictionary entry for ~上 didn't include ~の上.

I found this example sentence from goo.ne.jp.

仕事の上の意見の対立だった

They disagreed about their work.

If I replace ~の上 with ~上,

仕事の意見の対立だった

does the meaning of this sentence change or it remains the same?

The reason I'm asking this question is sometimes I am not sure if it is always appropriate to apply the meaning of ~上{じょう} to ~の上{うえ}. For example, from One Piece chapter 1,

おい、よせ酒の上のケンカは見苦しいぞ

Based on my understanding, 酒の上のケンカ means "fight relating to drinks" or "fight about drinks." This is true if I apply the meaning of ~上{じょう} to ~の上{うえ}. I wonder if my intuition is correct here.

Is there any difference between ~上{じょう} and ~の上{うえ}?

There are cases where のうえ and じょう are interchangeable (eg 制度の上では and 制度上は), but うえ has a lot of other meanings.

酒の上のケンカ means the same thing as 飲酒の上でのケンカ, or fight under the influence of alcohol. It's not about fight about alcohol. ~の上 can mean "after ~", "as a result of ~", "have already done ~". It takes some word of prerequisite/preparation.

• よく考えた上で結論を出した。
    I thought it over before making a conclusion.
  • 死を覚悟の上での戦い
    battle to the death (lit. "battle after mentally preparing for death")
  • それは承知の上だ。
    I'm already aware of that.

In this case, の上【うえ】 is not interchangeable with 上【じょう】.

• I see, thanks. I can understand 飲酒の上でのケンカ literally as "fight after drinking." で in 飲酒の上でのケンカ can be interpreted as a scope marker, right? When ~の上 means "about/regarding" as in 仕事の上の意見の対立だった?
    – Jimmy Yang
    Apr 4 at 4:17
  • @JimmyYang 仕事の上での is the same as 仕事上の but I'm afraid I cannot explain when it means which...
    – naruto
    Apr 4 at 4:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.