So I am a beginner when it comes to japanese and today I stumbled upon the phrase "鍵を開ける". As I understand, one of the usages of the particle で is, how something or where something is done. i.e: 日本語で話す or 家で働く

While the particle を is used to define the object of the action. So I assumed "鍵を開ける" would mean "to open the key". But it doesnt.

• Why is that?
  • Is 開ける just an exception when it comes to particles?
  • Are particles generally used differently depending on the verb?
  • Am I misunderstanding something or is this just another use of the particle を?

鍵 also means "lock", not just "key". Yes, it will take your English-speaking brain some time to come to terms with it. 🤣

• omg, I see that makes so much more sense, thank you. – Benny Schärer Mar 31 at 22:04
  • I feel a bit more explanation would help because 窓が鍵を開ける would literally mean "the window opens the lock". So there's more going on here than just 鍵 having the meaning of 'lock'. This phrase doesn't seem right to me but I don't have enough confidence to provide an answer myself. – user3856370 Mar 31 at 22:07
  • @user3856370 sorry, was a mistake on my part, I edited it out. – Benny Schärer Mar 31 at 22:10
  • @BennySchärer Ah, good. I feel happy again :-) – user3856370 Mar 31 at 22:12
    @BennySchärer The following may not be something a language learner should know, but: there is a word that properly refers to locks, which is じょう (錠). I would consider using かぎ to refer to a lock is an instance of metonymy. Not that one often hears the sentence 錠をあける. – Pteromys Apr 1 at 9:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.