I came across this sentence today 「アンタの本音が何で、嬢ちゃんが何を伝えたいかは俺にはハッキリ分かったがなぁ……」and was thrown off by the double が. I think I understand it but it still kinda puzzled me for a bit. Can some clarify this?

• Can you describe in what sense you think there is a double が? What do you think the sentence means? – user3856370 Mar 29 at 15:57
  • Actually going through it again kind of made me more confused now. I am guessing that is something like "why do I understand that you feel like there is something she is wants to tell you". I don't really know how to describe well how I think it is being used. I think it is just weird for me to parse. – Jared Mar 29 at 17:33

「アンタの本音が何で、嬢ちゃんが何を伝えたいかは俺にはハッキリ分かったがなぁ……」

So I think what is confusing you here is that you think 何で is "why". In this sentence it isn't. アンタの本音が何で is a separate clause where で is the continuative form of だ. So in no sense is there any kind of double が thing happening.

The structure is "X and Y are clearly known to me" where X is アンタの本音が何で and Y is 嬢ちゃんが何を伝えたい.

Putting it together you get:

What your true motive is, and what she wanted to convey, are clear to me.

• That makes a lot of sense. It is because even though there was a comma I was trying to parse the 何で with the other clause. This helps a lot! – Jared Mar 30 at 14:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.