Continuing my mission to understand how people can learn Japanese with Duolingo (I'm sure it's not possible) I was posed the following sentence:

My current apartment is more spacious than my previous place.

You are given pieces from which to construct the Japanese equivalent. Without looking too hard at the pieces given I constructed this sentence:

前のアパートより今のほうは広いです。

It irked me that I only had a は and no が among the pieces but I figured that, given the right context, は would work. I pressed submit only to be told I was wrong. The official answer was:

今のアパートは前の所より広いです。

Past experience shows that Duolingo is reasonably good at accepting alternative answers, so this leaves me wondering whether there is a problem with my answer. Does using は really make it unnatural? Perhaps it didn't like me using ほう instead of 所? Am I missing some other grammar error?

It seems that when you mean "A is more X than B" with the formula AのほうがBよりX, ほうが is completely a fixed element in this idiom and not replaceable with は. The argument Bより, however, can be followed by an extra topic particle: ~よりは, ~よりも. Alternatively, using another noun instead of ほう will make the sentence valid, such as:

前のアパートより今のところは広いです。

But it is applying the AはBよりX formula.

Of course, ~のほう can take は when it is not coupled with ~より, even if they appear in the same sentence.

(昔の家は実家より狭かったが、)今のほうは実家より広い。

This is also an AはBよりX instance, with ほう intended to contrast with 昔の家.

The sentence 前のアパートより今のほうは広いです has two issues, I think. One being that you are comparing アパート with 今, rather than with 今のアパート・今のところ, and the second being that the comparison ~より~のほう, assuming ~のほう is the subject noun-phrase, always takes the nominative case-marker が. It seems to me that using は with the のほう comparison is unnatural, since ~のほう already includes the comparison/contrastive function of は, so marking the subject with が would be more important. I defer to others, though, since I'm not totally sure.

As you have noted, the official answer does not use the のほう construction, so using は as a topic and comparison marker is fine.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.