When I meet a lawyer (弁護士{べんごし}) or physician (医師{いし}) in Japan, I address them using the (augmentative) suffix 先生{せんせい}. To be clear, I am not a lawyer, physician, or teacher. (I read about how peers should address each other in another Q&A.)

Is it overkill to use the same suffix when addressing a judicial scrivener (行政書士{ぎょうせいしょし})? Further, if I choose to address using suffix 先生, is this only used during the initially meeting / introduction? Or should I use it always (repeatedly), throughout the (business) relationship?

If there are other similar cases, please kindly share your experience and opinion.

Related:

I don't feel myself privileged to answer this question, but knowing there is no answer to this difficult question, I am going to try my best. First of all, the scope of using -先生 is not clearly defined, so I think it safe to use -先生 when you are doubtful of using it or not. Talking about 行政書士, my brother-in-law is a judicial scrivener 司法書士, and he is always addressed by his clients as '~先生'. And my wife, a teacher of flower-arrangement, has always been called '~先生'. It may safely be said that the scope includes 医者, 司法書士, 行政書士, 会計士, 税理士, 政治家, and teachers or instructors in any field. Almost no Japanese would feel it disrespectul for non-native speakers of Japanese to address her or him as '~先生'. Secondly, I think it better or safer to use -先生 not only during the initial meeting/introduction but also some time after that. But you should take much care, when he or she does not like to be called '~先生', they will surely say '~先生ではなく、~さんと呼んでください'.

• Another interesting case is authors or mangaka, who often get referred to as 〜先生, especially when they are being referred to in the context of a derivative work (like an anime). Mar 27 at 23:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.