How can I write my name Nicole in Japanese?

ニコール is probably the closest transliteration. Mar 20 '21 at 21:40

I think ニコル would be the most common. There are variants like ニコール, ニコラ.

Eg

That's kind of up to you. Though you could play with the pronunciation of your name and go with Niko. It would sound like you're a fun and happy person; ニコニコ (nikoniko) is an of onomatopoeic word in Japanese which gives that feeling.

But if you want Kanji, then that's really your personal preference and there aren't really any rules about it.

• However, I've heard a few times that writing one's own name in Kanji as a foreigner is considered a faux pass, so perhaps be a little careful with that.
    – Sam
    Mar 20 '21 at 20:45
    Wouldn't it be appropriate to at least offer common spellings of Nicole in katakana?
    – Leebo
    Mar 20 '21 at 20:46
    @Sam Interesting point. When I was in Japan, I received quite a number of suggestions for Kanji. Perhaps that's because in Japanese, the first two syllables (four mora) of my first name sound like a common family name and the remaining syllable (two mora) sounds like a reasonable first name. But then there was the problem that I just had a real last name that just doesn't match at all. lol
    – A.Ellett
    Mar 20 '21 at 23:05
    If I was new to Japanese and the answer didn't say you can write it in katakana, that would make me think maybe you can't. (shrug)
    – Leebo
    Mar 21 '21 at 1:29
    @Leebo Excellent point. I hadn't thought of it that way. Good for me to keep in mind.
    – A.Ellett
    Mar 21 '21 at 2:15

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.