学校_行きます。
がっこう_いきます。

I assume that it does, because で or を doesn't really makes sense. Since で indicates that I'm going in school, and 学校 isn't really a direct object. Or is it?

学校行{い}きます or 学校行{い}きます
    – Eddie Kal
    Mar 19, 2021 at 18:29
    I have already corrected, but the correct kanji for "to go" is 行, not 生. 学校生きます happens to make sense ("I will live in the school").
    – naruto
    Mar 20, 2021 at 2:11
    Related: japanese.stackexchange.com/q/80/9831
    – chocolate
    Mar 20, 2021 at 3:37

2 Answers 2

You can use either に or へ here. As mentioned in @EddieKal's comment, both of the following are correct:

学校行きます。
学校行きます。

• this に is "a particle which indicates a place toward which [someone] or [something] moves" [1]
  • this へ is "a particle that indicates the direction toward which some directional movement or action proceeds" [2]

In general, you can use the above two interchangeably [3]:

In actuality, native speakers use へ and に (of point of contact) almost interchangeably except in the case of

ニューヨーク{__}の便はもうありません。
There isn't any flight to / as far as New York any more.

〇 ニューヨークの便はもうありません。
〇 ニューヨークまでの便はもうありません。
✖ ニューヨークの便はもうありません。(に cannot be followed by の)

An example:

東京十二時に着いた。
東京十二時に着いた。
I arrived in Tokyo at 12:00 o'clock.

[1] A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar p. 302 (ni7 に)
[2] A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar p. 116 (e へ)
[3] A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar p. 117 (e へ Related Expressions section I)

学校へ行きます is more common.

When using "へ" you are referring to a place/direction, while "に" you could use for other verbs.

• その目的地へと(行く)。
  • その目的地に何かありましたっけ?

People often use に because they are assuming they are entering the building "School".

Go to cinema:

• 映画館へ行く。Correct.
  • 映画館に行く。Correct.(Edited)

Entering the car:

• 車へ入る。Not common.
  • 車に入る。Correct.
    Why is 映画館に行く wrong? Could you explain that?
    – A.Ellett
    Mar 20, 2021 at 0:04
  • 学校へ行きます and 学校に行きます both sound equally formal to me. Do you have a supporting source for this? Additionally, based on A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar page 117 (for the particle へ) which says, "Even the ni of direct contact meaning 'into; onto' can be replaced by e as in: お風呂 / 入った (Lit. I entered into a bath. (=I took a bath.))", I would say that 車へ入る is also a correct way of saying "entering a car".
    – Setris
    Mar 20, 2021 at 6:19
  • In this case, see this link: kawakawalearningstudio.com/all/…
    – Joao VKN
    Mar 22, 2021 at 3:11
    ^ Hmm.. that website Kawa Kawa Learning Studio doesn't seem to be that reliable. I viewed several pages of theirs and found them giving some incorrect/unnatural examples/translations, eg「彼のアドバイスに聞く。」「彼のアドバイスに聞かないでください。」とか... あんまり鵜呑みにしない方がいいと思いますよ…
    – chocolate
    Mar 24, 2021 at 1:13
    ?? In my previous comment I said: Some of KawaKawa's example sentences are incorrect, for example, 「彼のアドバイスに聞く。」「彼のアドバイスに聞かないでください。」 given here in their page, so I wouldn't really recommend trusting their pages.
    – chocolate
    Mar 24, 2021 at 15:17

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .