I came across this in a manga, and I still can't figure out what the ちゃいない means. Does any help please?

Contraction of 見てはいない? – user3856370 Mar 17 at 22:00
  • Context is always good. I agree with @user3856370's contraction suggestion, but more context would help us to be more certain in that interpretation. – Eiríkr Útlendi Mar 18 at 0:24

It's almost certainly a contraction of 見てはいない ("[someone] is not seeing it" or "[someone] has not seen it"). It can also be a contraction of 見てしまいなさい ("Watch it anyway!") at least in one western dialect I know, but it's rare.

In casual speech, ては very often contracts to ちゃ (and では contracts to じゃ). See Purpose of adj+kucha and noun+ja in this sentence for example.

I am sure that you will sometimes find the expression 見ちゃいない in a manga, because this expression is very colloquial and used in daily conversation. I think the following expressions can arranged in the order of formality. 見てはいない、見ていない、見てない、見ちゃいない。

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.