What is the meaning of もの in that sentence 真相を知るものは誰もいません

Dictionary says it can mean 'thing', but also 'really'.

I guess thus it's 'really' but when I automatically translate this sentence, the meaning 'really' never appears.

もの has a variety of uses. While it can mean thing, it can also refer to a person, which is what it's doing in this sentence.

Breaking the sentence down, we have:

真相を知る: <someone> knows the truth.

誰もいません: There is no one.

もの is the glue that ties these two parts together.

First note that, when 真相を知る is placed before もの, it's acting as a relative clause. So,

真相を知るもの: someone who knows the truth

And so when placed in the larger sentence,

真相を知るものは誰もいません: There is no one who knows the truth.

• is it 者 being used in this sentence? Mar 15 at 17:01
    @FelipeChavesdeOliveira Generally, this もの isn't usually written with kanji. But I'm not a native speaker and I certainly have read as broadly as a native speaker likely would have. Nevertheless, 者 seems to me have a rather rigid and formal aspect to it. Consider reading 「者」と「もの」との違いについて.
    – A.Ellett
    Mar 15 at 17:10
    I think the もの in the original sentence can be safely written as 者. It's not particularly rigid.
    – naruto
    Mar 15 at 18:05
    @naruto Thank you for the clarification. :-)
    – A.Ellett
    Mar 15 at 18:41
    Just noticed I said "I certainly have read as broadly" that was supposed to read "I certainly have not read as braodly". Sigh.
    – A.Ellett
    Mar 15 at 18:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.