I am having trouble with the following sentence from this article about toilets translated as "a thing that makes the sound of running water to avoid making an unpleasant noise"

不快な音をたてないために、水流れる音出すもの

I learned about the use of ために and its nuances and how の connects two nouns VS を who connects noun and verb but it seems i'm not yet comfortable with it :)

So my questions are :

1. Is ために used as because of or as in order to ? I would suppose in order to but i thought it would work like A ために B to say to do B in order to achieve A whereas here ために comes after 不快な音.
  2. How does 水流れる音出すもの work ? I understand we "first" use を to connect the verb 流れる and the noun 出すもの and "then" connect the noun/phrase and 水 using の. Am i right ?
  3. What about 流れる音 ? Is this considered a verb (~ "make the sound of something flawing") or a noun (~ "the sound of something flawing") ?

ために means in order to and your understanding is correct, A ために B means to do B to achieve A, as in "make a sound of running water to achieve the result of not making other unpleasant sounds".

水の流れる音 is a noun. The 音 is the most important thing here and is expanded subsequently by 流れる and 水の as in the sound of running water. I believe you could also say 水が流れる音 to the same effect.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.