I can't wrap my head around the meaning of「って意味で」in the dialogue from a manga below. The speaker was explaining the reason why she wants a lover.

決まった人がいれば、いちいち惚れた腫れたやらなくて楽かなって...

傍で支えるって意味では、一番確かだろうしね

What is the role of「って」? Is it short for「という」? I don't understand what「意味で」means. What is the function of「で」here?

Does the second sentence mean something among the lines of "I think the meaning of supporting by side is the most certain"? I don't get it.

Yes, this って is short for という. This で is a condition/scope marker, and this は is a contrast marker. ~という意味では is "in the sense of ~", "if you mean ~", or "in terms of ~". You have ignored the meaning of で in your translation.

笑えるって意味では面白い
It is omoshiroi in the sense of laughable (but not in the sense of interesting).

傍で支えるって意味では、一番確かだろうしね
As a means to support someone, it (having a steady) is the most certain (way).

• Thanks a lot! I wonder if で used as a condition/scope marker is an extended usage of で as a location marker? Also, can I interpret "as a means to support someone" as "in terms of supporting someone"? – Jimmy Yang Mar 13 at 7:42
    @JimmyYang See this for similar examples. で has a lot of usages and I don't think it's good to think of this as an extension of something else. And yes, "in terms of supporting someone" should be fine. – naruto Mar 13 at 8:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.