I'm wondering how sentences are typically made for the pattern "(some non human thing) makes me/you/etc (reaction)." For example, "reading this book makes me think." Or "going to school makes me happy." I suppose if you directly translated these it would be something using ~させる, like この本読むと考えさせる but I feel like that is usually unnatural in this case. It seems using words like ~たくなる and such are more common. What is the extent of ~させるs usefulness in this case and what is the most natural option?

You have partly answered your own question. Historically, Japanese has tended not to use an inanimate thing as a subject as if it had its own will. It's usually preferred to rephrase the sentence using a human as the subject. In your examples, you can say:

• この本を読むと考えさせられる。
    (Literally, "When I read this book, I am made to think." Notice the causative-passive form. この本を読むと考えたくなる means "This books make me feel like thinking deeply", and this may be fine if the book is a certain type of self-help book.)
  • 学校に行くと楽しくなる。
    (Lit. "When I go to school, I become happy.")

The following sentences are not wrong but tend to sound less natural in Japanese:

• この本は私に考えさせる。
    (Lit. "This book makes me think.")
  • 学校に行くことは私を楽しくさせる。
    (Lit. "Going to school makes me happy.")

See this question for similar examples: In Japanese, can we say an object asks a question?

This is also related: Does 考えさせられる小説 make sense?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.