I am currently translating an English text, which itself has been translated from an originally Japanese text. Whenever there's something I don't understand in the English text, I try to translate the Japanese original directly into my target language (German).

However, in this case I don't understand what either version is supposed to mean.

Context: video game, on examining an election poster defaced by the rival party

Japanese original: 額に『肉』と書かれている。

English translation: Someone has scrawled "MEAT" across his forehead.

The English translation seems close enough, but I don't understand what it means. It's obviously intended as an insult, but what does 肉 mean when used on its own in this context? Is it a generic insult like e.g. "meathead", "idiot" etc. or does it have a more specific meaning? Or is it perhaps some sort of pun on a homophone?

UPDATE: Thank you all for your replies. Since I believe this would be lost in translation otherwise, I decided to go with a less literal translation: "His portrait is covered with childish scribbles."

It is a prank that is an imitation of キン肉マン. キン肉マン was a popular manga in the 80's. The main character of the manga is キン肉マン, who has a kanji "肉" on his forehead.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.