I thought に was the universal particle with 志願, but I have seen を used quite commonly too and I wonder if there are some nuances in meaning.

死刑を志願した男

大学に志願する
大学を志願する
大学に入学を志願する.

軍隊に志願する
兵役を志願する
特攻隊に志願する

管理職に志願した男
看護婦を志願する

田舎教師(1909)〈田山花袋〉六「小島は第一を志願するらしい」 〔嵆康‐与山巨源絶交書〕1 (精選版 日本国語大辞典)

They don't appear to differ in meaning.

1. I am not quite sure about this entry. So it is from a work titled 田舎教師 by 田山花袋. But what is 〔嵆康‐与山巨源絶交書〕?

Xに志願する and Xを志願する are sometimes interchangeable, but I feel the latter has a stronger implication of choosing or asking for X from multiple options. Less commonly, Xを志願する can mean just "to make up one's mind to become X" without explicit request/application to some authority (を志望する is more common in this sense, though). I don't know why but it may because it's close to を選ぶ or を志望する.

• 死刑を志願する
    to ask for (one's own) death penalty (instead of life imprisonment)
    (You cannot say 死刑に志願する because 死刑 is not a job/role.)
  • 落語家に弟子入りを志願する
    to ask a rakugo performer for an apprenticeship
    (You cannot say 弟子入りに志願する because it's not a job/role.)
  • 政治家を志願する
    to make up one's mind to become a politician
    (政治家 is a job name, but 政治家に志願する does not make sense because no authority can grant this job to you.)
  • 看護師を志願する
    to apply for the job as a nurse (rather than something else) / to make up one's mind to become a nurse
    (This makes sense only when there are multiple options.)
  • 小島は第一を志願するらしい。
    Looks like Kojima will rather apply for Dai-ichi (School).
    (This is almost synonymous with 第一に志願するらしい.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.