Recently I came across

優希から直取りすれば逆転トップだぞ!?

And I was surprised to see it written like that rather than

優希から直取れば逆転トップだぞ!?

Is this a general thing that can be done with any 連用形 form of a verb? If not, then which ones? And what nuance does this carry, when compared with any of the "normal"?

直取り is a noun (する). I don't think it can be conjugated in to 直取る at all. The word does not even appear in dictionaries. – Shurim Mar 2 at 19:57
  • Ah okay, thanks! I didn't see it as a word in the initial dictionary I used, and I didn't bother checking another since I just assumed 直 was used adverbably. – MegaZeroX Mar 2 at 20:41

This 直取り is a noun coined from the masu-stem of a verb, also working as a suru-verb. There is no such a verb as 直取る. (直取れば may be used as a joke, though.)

お願い is a representative example of this; you can say お願いすれば but not お願う or お願えば. Other examples of suru-verbs that may look like godan/ichidan verbs include 馬鹿売れ, お使い, ひとっ飛び, 前借り, 大泣き and so on. Hmm, maybe this happens often with adverb-like prefixes?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.