Just came across this phrase and upon breaking it down it looked like it would have the opposite meaning to what it really has (高を括る-to make light of). Have I missed something and there's actually a good explanation for this phrase? My first thought was that it would mean 'to expect a lot' or something similar.

• It look like 括 can mean "constrict". Does there need to be more to it?
    – flowsnake
    Feb 28 at 21:32
    @flowsnake the dictionary I checked says the meaning of 括る here is 予想する, so I'm not sure "constrict" plays a part.
    – Leebo
    Feb 28 at 22:13

高【たか】 means "yield/amount/quantity" (e.g., of a crop). くくる means "to bind/tie" and, by extension, "to summarize/consolidate". Thus, the literal meaning of 高をくくる is nothing more than something like "to estimate (the capability of someone/something)" or "to assume". However, as an idiom, it has gained a derived implication of "to (wrongly) estimate/assume", and that's why "to make light of something" is a valid translation. When it comes to idioms, you cannot expect their literal meanings are preserved.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.