Why are there two different forms of the adjective "useful"?

1. 役に立つ
  2. 役に立ち

When I looked up on Jisho.org (here), the page would show an entry for the former even if I typed the latter in the search box.

Below are a few examples that I found (from DuoLingo.com's drills):

1. この本はとても役に立ちます。
  2. この本は日本の歴史を学ぶのに役に立つ。
  3. 役に立つ文章はどこですか。
  4. 彼は役に立ちません。
    Does Duolingo not teach the difference between verbs in plain form and polite form? – Leebo Feb 23 at 8:29
  • I am taking another Japanese course (but drilling on DuoLingo), and I guess this topic has not yet been taught. Thanks for the pointer. I was guessing the question was a grammar topic but I didn't know what it is and how to read up on it on the Internet ... The course I took is みんなの日本語  I am on Chapter 11 of the first book (of 12 chapters) – leeyuiwah Feb 23 at 10:08

First, note that 役に立つ is not an adjective but a verb-based set phrase (do you remember ます only follows a verb?). If you want an adjective that directly corresponds to the adjective 'useful', use 便利な (na-adjective) or 有用な (na-adjective) instead.

立ち is one of the many forms of the verb 立つ. I don't know how your textbook calls the former, but it's commonly called masu-stem, verb stem, i-form, pre-masu-form, continuative form, etc. If you have completed the first few chapters of your textbook, I believe you have already learned them. If you want to review this form, please read this answer.

• Thank you very much! – leeyuiwah Feb 24 at 7:25
  • I appreciate the answer. However, the suggested link does not actually talk about 立つ, but I found this page (which apparently was auto-generated) talks about it japaneseverbconjugator.com/… I now realized that this topic is at a level that I have not learned, but I think it is good to look ahead a little bit in my learning. Cheers! – leeyuiwah Feb 25 at 17:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.