I don't understand what こと means in this sentence:

こんな 恐ろしい 事 は 聞いた こと が ない。

I initially thought it was a nominalizer, but nominalizers must be used with verbs at the neutral form, and also, only the nominalizer の but not こと can be used with perception verbs.

Intuitively, I guess it means something like: 'the fact that I heard something so horrible doesn't exist' (ない). But I am not sure.

Yes you are right. Verb + こと means "the fact of 'Verb'". To use it, the verb must be in plain form (not only neutral), so た form works.

Your translation 'the fact that I heard something so horrible doesn't exist' is correct, but to be less literal, I think 'I have never heard something so horrible' is better.

In general, the pattern [...] Verb た こと が ない means "(I) have never '[...] verb'", "(I) have never done '[...] verb'.

• So does こと stand as a nominalizer in my example? If not, then it is distinct from what it described here: wasabi-jpn.com/japanese-grammar/nominalizers-koto-and-no
    – starckman
    Feb 15 '21 at 15:17
    Yes, it's a nominalizer! It changes "I heard something so horrible" into "having heard something so horrible" (a noun).
    – mamster
    Feb 15 '21 at 19:09
    @starckman I think it's just more that the page you linked is not exhaustive. It's a beginner's introduction to nominalizers.
    – Leebo
    Feb 15 '21 at 21:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.