The speaker has just started his new job at a bakery and one of his co-workers is worried that he is being asked to do something that is too dangerous for newcomers by one of his other co-workers.

Person a「もう……新人だからって何でも言うこと聞くのは間違っていると思います。新人に窯出しは危険ですよ」

Person b「でも、下手に他の作業やっても場が混乱するからさ。最初は言われたとおりにやるしかないって」

Person a「私、体育会系のノリって嫌いなんです。根性だけで何でも済ませてたらいつか大ケガするじゃないですか」

Person b「でもメガネくん、あれで一応俺には気を使ってくれているみたいでさ」

Person b 「オーブンを触るときは、大声出してるときでもちゃんと見ててくれるんだよ」

Person a「先輩って、変な人ですね。私なら仕事でもあれだけ言われたら怒ります」

Person b「大丈夫、適度に言い返してガス抜きしてるから」

I am not sure how to parse the bolded sentence of this exchange, and the subjects of the individuals parts. I think that the subject of オーブンを触る is the speaker, and ちゃんと見ててくれる is メガネくん, however I am not sure for 大声出してる. Part of what is confusing me is that there are two occurrences of とき. Is the following the correct way to understand this sentence:

When I'm touching the oven, he watches me properly, even when he is shouting/raising his voice.

When I'm touching the oven, he watches me properly, even when he is shouting/raising his voice.

I don't know who メガネくん is (it can be person A or the other person C), but yes, I agree with your thought. Person A says "私なら仕事でもあれだけ言われたら怒ります", so they're definitely talking about someone else (person C).

オーブンを触るときは、大声出してるときでもちゃんと見ててくれるんだよ

The second とき is also confusing to me. As your English sentence indicates, he should have watched person A first and then scolded A with a loud voice. It's kind of weird that to scold A with a loud voice and to watch A occur at exact the same time. While I can understand what it means, it's not very logical.

I'd say like these:

「オーブンを触るときは、大声こそ出してるけどちゃんと見ててはくれるんだよ」

「オーブンを触るときは、ちゃんと見ててくれるんだよ。たまに大声で注意されるけど」

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.