I'm looking for some help understanding the second line in the below. The context is that Person 1 is showing pictures of girls to his friend, Person 2, who has just transferred to the school.

Person 1「あぁ、東条さんな。この子はあれだ。ガチで好きな人ランキング圧倒的1位だ」

Person 2「もはや本気すぎて逆にカワイイって言えなくなるアレだな」

Person 1「あぁ。……いいんだな。お前、刺されるかもしれないぞ」

In the first line, Person 1 says that she is 「ガチで好きな人ランキング圧倒的1位だ」- she is overwhelmingly #1 in the ranking of favourite / most liked people.

The third line implies that if he (Person 2) approaches this girl he's going to get a hard time from other boys (get stabbed) since she is the most popular.

Line 2 however is a bit unclear. Does 本気すぎて refer to the people who voted for her, and カワイイって言えなくなる refer to those same people?

The context is a little vague. It'd help if you could give more details, such as the name of the source material. For instance, does person 2 know 東条さん? – Eddie Kal Feb 4 at 0:35
  • No person 2 didnt know of 東条さん until person 1 showed them a picture. – fearless Feb 4 at 0:48
  • What are they doing? Person 2 has just chosen a girl? For what? And is this "ranking" the result of a real vote that took place in the past? – naruto Feb 4 at 4:09
    They are currently in Person 2's room and Person 1 is showing him pictures of what he has identified as the top 4 girls in the school. Person 2 had pointed at the picture of 東条さん to ask for more information about her. From the readers point of view it isn't clear whether this ranking is the result of a real vote or Person 1's opinion, although we do find out she is very popular a little later. – fearless Feb 4 at 8:59

So in this context, they are not talking about certain boys who are serious or crazy about 東城さん, right? Then this 本気すぎて just means 本気でカワイすぎて, which is roughly the same as ガチでカワイすぎて. Person 2 is saying her attractiveness is so extreme that he hesitate to use a common and casual compliment such as 可愛い.

• Ah thanks for this makes more sense now. I did google before your answer and see many utterances of something to that effect "i.e. when people see things that are truly cute, they are unable to say that" but I didn't imagine that カワイイ was dropped so I was a bit confused as to what 本気すぎて was referring to. – fearless Feb 4 at 13:42
  • @fearless Yes people overuse 過ぎる these days :) – naruto Feb 5 at 2:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.