I'm playing Slay the Spire in Japanese, and often see like 4ダメージ and stuff like that, but I don't know how you'd actually say that aloud. There's lots of information about counting in Japanese on the internet but I can't find anything about how it applies to this specific problem. Would you say よんダメージ, よっつダメージ, しダメージ, or maybe something else?

Was とっつダメージ a typo? – Leebo Feb 2 at 6:21
  • oh, yes. i meant to put よっつダメージ. i read an article about how this つ version can be used kinda generically with most things, so i thought that would be one possibility, but i feel like it would maybe be written like 4つダメージ if it was supposed to be pronounced like that? – Aetherlift Feb 2 at 7:57

It can be only pronounced よんダメージ.

ダメージ triggers no sound change. You effectively just put it after plain numerals (いち, に, さん, よん, ご, ろく, なな, はち, きゅう, じゅう...).

よっつダメージ is impossible unless you try to say like "give it four valid hits". When ダメージ means damage value, we only use itself as a pseudo-counter or without counters, such as よんのダメージ, ダメージよん.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.