How do you say these. E.g. I cannot compare/compete with him。 彼と比べらはできない/彼と比べられない/彼と叶わない? Not sure if 比べ is too literal for comparing to use in this case.

What about "This is no contest." これで競争できない?これは競争じゃない/がない?相手にはならない?

There are a couple ways to say this.

彼にかなわない

「かなう」in this sense is written in kana or as 「敵う」. And the particle should be 「に」, because this is obviously a directional compariso.

Similarly:

彼に及ば{およば}ない

In addition:

彼と比べものにならない

and

彼と比べることはできない

also work.

You can also say 「比較にならない」but "he" would have to be the subject.

(彼は) 私と比較にならないほど優秀な方だ。

• Thank you! Doesn't 彼と比べることはできない have the confusion where it could also mean that the other party cannot compete/compare with you? – shoryuu Jan 31 at 6:55
  • @shoryuu Sorry, just saw your comment. 「彼と比べることはできない」and「彼と比べものにならない」state you can't compare with them. I don't think there is much space for confusion in these expressions. – Eddie Kal Feb 4 at 18:44
  • I see! No worries. Better late than never! Thank you! – shoryuu Feb 5 at 19:12

If you want to shift the point-of-view to focus on them, you could describe them/their ability with 無双・無敵・無比.

• 無双の美女 → Girl/Woman of unequaled beauty
  • 無敵のチーム → An unbeatable team
  • 天下無比の歌手 → An unmatched singer

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.