I went upon some adverbializers that turn the adjective they follow into an adverb, but don't figure out if there is any rule, such as whether one particular particle (e.g. と, に) is used with one particular type of adjectives (e.g. い adjectives, た adjectives).

I think this question may have already been asked and answered here. Have a look at that post, and if it doesn't address your specific needs, please update your question post here to clarify. Jan 28 at 18:46
    Does this answer your question? What is the purpose of adding と? Jan 28 at 18:46
    You mean like 整然→整然と並べた? ゆっくり should be an adverb, not an adj. Also, I've never heard of り-adjs
    – Shurim
    Jan 28 at 19:16
    Your question is still confused. There is no "り adjective". In your sample, the と attaches to ゆっくり, which is a ~り adverb, and the と could be analyzed as making that adverbial-ness more explicit or emphatic -- と is optional after ~り adverbs. For ~たる adjectives, the ~たる ending itself is a contraction of ~とある, where the と is indeed the adverbial. Same as ~な adjectives, where ~な came from ~なる, which came from ~にある, where に is the other adverbial particle. Jan 28 at 23:26
    Some adverbs take the と particle but others don't. I'm not aware of a rule. But there are lists: japandict.com/lists/adv-to Jan 29 at 17:51

(Synthesizing answers from the comments)

Although there are exceptions:

〜な adjectives are commonly adverbialized by に.

〜い adjectives are commonly adverbialized by く.

〜たる adjectives are commonly adverbialized by と.

Adverbializers like と can also be used to emphasize the adverbial nature of adverbs.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.