Context: Someone sent the main characters an anonymous email and addressed them as siblings. This is their reaction:

なんで俺ら「空白」が兄妹{きょうだい}だって知ってんだ?

I understand the sentence means "How did they know us BLANKs (their clan's name) are siblings?"

I also found out that 知ってんだ? comes from 知っているのですか.

However, I would like to know how come 知ってんだ is attached to the conjunctive form of the copula (だって). I couldn't find an answer to this anywhere. Is it even a conjunctive form of the copula? Couldn't it be a contraction for という? But in this case, it's not like it makes more sense since it's followed by another verb.

と often informally takes the form って. It doesn't necessarily imply という here. 「なんで俺ら『空白』が兄妹だって知ってんだ?」=「なんで俺ら『空白』が兄妹だと知っているのだ?」

• Thank you :) It's kinda driving me crazy how many things って can replace. Is there maybe a list of informal contractions somewhere? – LonelyDriver Jan 27 at 15:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.