In Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo's opening, there is this part:

1回めまぐれで

2回めってどうだろう

偶然じゃないよね?3回目が合うのは

I understand it, but one part: the translations I found say "The third time our eyes meet", and I noticed that at least in some written version "1回め" and "2回め" use め, while "3回目" uses 目.

I tried to understand if the 目 in 3回目 is ordinal ("The third time") or "eye" ("The third [time our] eyes"), but I didn't really find anything useful: if it's ordinal, I can't understand the subject of 合う: is it left unsaid, like "The third time [our eyes] met"?

If it's "eye", I'm not sure why 1回め and 2回め has an ordinal marker, while 3回目 doesn't, since they all mean "The nth time".

I'm wondering if it's meant to be a word play, like using 目 as ordinal, but impliying "eyes" since it means that too; no luck in finding info about that, though.

Edit: Without ordinal marker it should be cardinal, but I'm not sure if, maybe as poetic license it being in a song, it could be left out while still having an ordinal meaning.

If no ordinal suffix, it'll be a cardinal number, right? – broken laptop Jan 27 at 9:33
  • Yes, but I'm not sure if, maybe as poetic license it being in a song, it could be left out; thanks for pointing it out, I'll add it to the question. – Mauro Jan 27 at 9:39

The lyrics are arguably wordplay-like, in that they try to invite listeners into a garden path sentence. But the only way eventually parses meaningfully is 3回 "three times" + 目が合う "eyes meet". This 目 cannot be a suffix and a noun at the same time.

By the way, lyrics I found in Japanese sites all seem to have spaces in between, which suggest the official way of parsing.

1回め まぐれで
2回め ってどうだろう
偶然じゃあないよね? 3回 目が合うのは

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.