I was initially taught that いえ was the informal version of いいえ. Recently, I have read on several websites that いえ should only be used to refer to house/home 家. Is this true and if so, what is the negative equivalent of え?

いえ is relatively more informal than いいえ, but いえ is used mostly in formal and polite speech. It's probably much more common than いいえ, too.
    – naruto
    Jan 26 at 0:52

いえ is definitely used informally for いいえ, though it's not super casual. More casual options include いや, ううん, or 違う. That being said, you don't necessarily need a word that means 'no'; you can reply to 「フランスに行ったことある?」with just 「ないよ」

I would have thought 違う is less casual (though of course it's more casual than 違います); it's the sort of thing you say because a direct "no" isn't appropriate for the situation... ? Jan 25 at 11:06
  • @KarlKnechtel Sorry for the late reply, but 違う is actually an extremely direct way of saying 'no
    – Angelos
    Mar 19 at 9:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.