This is an excerpt from NHK Easy article: https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/easy/k10012806691000/k10012806691000.html

My literal translation would be:

今年の6月までに6000万人に使うことができるワクチンを買います [The government] will purchase the vaccine that can be used on 60 million people by the end of June this year.

The only way I can see this translated in more natural English would be:

[The government] will purchase enough vaccine for 60 million people by the end of June this year.

The grammar I am struggling with here is the relative clause 使うことができるワクチン - vaccine that can be used? Is my problem that I am trying to translate too literally, when I should just accept that this relative clause is approximately the same as saying "enough vaccine for..."?

Hello Luke, welcome to the Japanese Stack Exchange! Unfortunately, we don't do proofreading. As currently worded, your question appears to be asking for proofreading, and as such, this will likely be closed. If you can edit your question to ask about a specific point of terminology or grammar, and include your own best-guess about what it means and how it's used, you are more likely to get a useful answer. – Eiríkr Útlendi Jan 15 at 1:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.