I'm going through a dialog in a game and I came across some grammar I don't think I understand in the following sentence:

お前のこと好きになって辞めてった女子も
けっこう いるって話じゃねーか!

What is the grammar behind 辞めてった? I know this means something about quitting/leaving, but I have no idea how this was formed or what it actually implies.

My best guess translation, which I'm pretty sure is wrong, is something like

he girls that like you, who something about having quit/left
You could say that was great, couldn't you?

More context:

This sentence is said by Male A directed at Male B. Before speaking with Male B he was surrounded by a group of girls, who are totally falling head over heals for him. He tells the girls to go home and they immediately leave. Male B makes the comment that they like him instantly and that they are hard to get away from. Male A, just before saying the above, also implies that Male B more or less is cursing (呪い) the girls and that's why they act the way they do. This is all taking place in a university

• I think what they quit has not been made clear in the context given. Is there anything said about any kind of activity prior to these lines? Jobs? Clubs? I know you've sketched out a plot context, but it is not quite clear what it is that they quit after falling for that person.
    – Eddie Kal
    Jan 13, 2021 at 6:05
  • I honestly didn't even think about the overall setting. The overall setting takes place in a university. So its pretty safe to assume these girls are quitting/leaving university Jan 13, 2021 at 6:25

1 Answer 1

辞めてった is a contracted form of 辞めていった. See this chart. Here ていく has the nuance of "gradually over time" plus "away from me/us/here/etc". See: Difference between -ていく and -てくる

Where did that "great" come from? The sentence means "I heard there are also quite a few girls who quit after falling love with you!" or "...girls who ended up quitting/leaving because they loved you". Does that make sense in the context?

• That makes a lot more sense. I'm honestly more confused about the second part here now. I originally translated けっこう to great because that definition seemed to make the most sense at the time, since I saw it meant things like splendid, wonderful, and etc. But that seems to be a poor choice of wording. I'm still not sure what けっこう is supposed to mean though. Also, I'm not sure why いる is being used, but I am assuming the "I heard..." part is more in line with いるって話じゃねーか (Isn't that stories that are said?) Jan 13, 2021 at 6:22
  • @Tylersansan Ah! I should have noticed けっこう could mean "great". Here けっこう is an adverb that means the same thing as かなり or たくさん. It corresponds to "quite a few" in my translation. いる is just "to exist". って話だ (=という話だ) is "I've heard ~", "They say ~", etc.
    – naruto
    Jan 13, 2021 at 6:24
  • This is making a lot more sense now. Its clicking. Thanks for the explanation! Jan 13, 2021 at 6:48

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .