What's the difference between these two ways of saying "I'm driving to meet a friend"?

俺は友達に会いに運転している

俺は友達に会って運転している

Is this the difference between between V-stem and V-te conjunctives, one is written and the other colloquial?

@user3856370 I didn't see it anywhere, actually. See, you can use V-stem with に行く to mean "go to do". My thinking was that I could use the same construction with something other than 行く to express an action with a purpose behind it. I tried a few variations on it, and online translators understood it, which made me think I was doing something right. Jan 10 at 16:28
  • @LonelyDriver Do you mean 会いに行く
    – Ringil
    Jan 10 at 16:34
  • @Ringil, I totally did. Oopsie. Thanks for noticing it. Anyway, the question still stands. Jan 10 at 16:36

In the form 「連用形(continuative form)+に+移動動詞(motion verb)」, the 移動動詞 can be 行く, 来る, 帰る, 戻る, 出る, 出かける, 入る, etc.

◎「会いに行く」"go to see" 「会いに来る」"come to see" 「会いに帰る」"come back to see" ...
✕「会いに運転する」 sounds incorrect.

Related threads:

俺は友達に会って運転している would be interpreted as "I met my friend and am driving."

To say "I'm driving to meet my friend", I would probably say...

「車で友達に会いに行く(ところだ)」 lit. I'm (on my way) going to meet a friend by car.

• Live and learn. Thank you. But as for 俺は友達に会って運転している, wouldn't it be interpreted differently based on context? You can use -te for purpose as in 俺は友達に会って運転している "I stopped a bullet to save her", at least if this lesson is to be believed jn1et.com/howto-tekei/#toc22. But again, if it's unnatural to say things like that, I guess it doesn't matter. Jan 10 at 17:28
    "I stopped a bullet to save her" -- You mean 私は彼女をかばって銃弾を受けた? In that sentence, 彼女をかばう and 銃弾を受ける happen at the same time. The ~て is more like "in the manner of~~" or "while doing so" than genuine "for the purpose of". 友達に会う and 運転する might happen at the same time, but "I am meeting a friend and am driving", "I am driving while meeting a friend" won't be natural.
    – Chocolate
    Jan 10 at 17:45
  • Awesome. That helps a lot. Thanks again. Jan 10 at 17:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.