Hypothetically speaking, if こと is being used as a nominalizing suffix in the following sentence:

その時々の課題をクリアすることに、全力で取り組んでいる間は、何も思い悩んだりせずにすむ。

would the above sentence be able to be re-written as the following?

その時々の課題をクリアに、全力で取り組んでいる間は、何も思い悩んだりせずにすむ。

I'm asking this as I'm certain the こと is only there to nominalize the suru verb, which appears to be made of a noun-suru compound.

No, this is not possible.

課題をクリアする means "to clear (succeed in solving) a problem". It takes an object (marked by を)問題. This is clearly a transitive verb structure. If you try and change it to a noun then you are left with 課題を and no verb to go with it.

Perhaps you meant to ask about 課題クリアに. This would a least be grammatical, but I think it is also nonsense. 課題をクリアすることに取り組んでいる means "striving to clear (solve) the problem". When you strive you strive to do something. It only makes sense to me that a verb is required.

• You know, I was so focused on the hypothetical nominalization of the クリアすること part, the preceding を COMPLETLY slipped my mind. Having a laser focus mind is both a blessing and a curse when it comes to translating even hypothetical translations. – Toyu_Frey Jan 10 at 10:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.