I have some difficulty understanding the construction とか言う気だろう 

Context: the protagonist is trying to learn a new skill and he is surprised by the move made by his teacher.

ひょっとして、これが潜伏スキルだとか言う気だろうか。

... Was that supposed to be the ambush (skill) ?

The part とか言う seems to refer to "something like" (By the way, I do not understand the だ just before)

I have found some hints here

Meaning of this どうだとか言う construction

To understand it better, read it as とか言う+気+だろう. Now とか言うindicates some degree of uncertainty about what's stated before it, that is, これが潜伏スキルだ, and connects the whole phrase as a description of 気. You can read 気 as "intention" here. And again we have だろう which adds yet another degree of supposition/uncertainty. Put it all together with the か and you can see how it is translated as "Was that supposed to be" + the sentence quoted by とか. (note that these are not linguistically-valid terminology, and just used to clear things up) – zareami10 Jan 9 at 14:25
  • thanks a lot for your comment , makes things clear. Now should I close the question, or something else ? – Makoto Jan 9 at 15:53
  • Don't close it; it's a good question. The first thing to do would be to request that @zareami10 convert the comment to answer. If you get no response then I would recommend adding it as an answer yourself with credit to zareami10 and tick the 'community wiki' box. – user3856370 Jan 9 at 17:35
  • Done as you told me, I was not aware of the community wiki, thanks – Makoto Jan 9 at 18:49

With credit to

@zareami10

To understand it better, read it as

とか言う+気+だろう

Now とか言う indicates some degree of uncertainty about what's stated before it, that is, これが潜伏スキルだ, and connects the whole phrase as a description of 気. You can read 気 as "intention" here.

And again we have だろう which adds yet another degree of supposition/uncertainty.

Put it all together with the か and you can see how it is translated as "Was that supposed to be" + the sentence quoted by とか. (note that these are not linguistically-valid terminology, and just used to clear things up)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.