For context: Person A brings up something about a club they are in, to which person B wonders whether it is a problem for person A. A third person (female, usually speaks formally) then chimes in, referring to person A:

[A]も一員なのだなと理解しました

I think the first part is a sentence ending in 「なのです」, with 「です」 becoming 「だ」 for 「と臨海する」, but I can't figure out what the 「な」 between these two parts means. Without it, I would loosely interpret the sentence as something like

[A] would not be a member of the club if it was a problem

But I am not sure whether the 「な」 carries some extra meaning I am unaware of. Is it something like a prohibitive form? Is it a variant of 「ね」? Or am I parsing the sentence wrong in the first place?

So here it is important to note the function of another particle 「と」in the sentence. As goo辞書 explains:

(文や句をそのまま受けて)動作・作用・状態の内容を表す。引用の「と」。

「そのまま」tells us when「と」is present you can leave the quotation as is, with all the particles that shape the way something is said. With this explained, let's look at your sentence.

([A]も一員なのだな)と理解しました

It now should be clear that the「な」is a sentence ending particle used to help express a personal feeling or to seek the listeners’ confirmation and/or to soften the imperative tone. And you are right that it functions similarly to「ね」. For example:

この文章は大丈夫だな

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.